Muffin week! Well, technically muffin and scone week. But despite being British at heart, I always found scones to be the lesser cousin to the glamorous, customizable muffin. Scones are vehicles for toppings of flavor, whereas muffins are the flavor. Especially if you go whole-hog and add a deliciously gooey centre like caramel or cream cheese.
This week my muffins are a more wholesome affair, after consulting with my household brother Gryph over what variety he would like from the vast library of muffin recipes I had available. He has particular tastes and definitely does not enjoy chocolate which means in past weeks he has missed out on some of my baked treats. In the end he didn’t choose any available recipe I had but directed me to create one that had blueberries, raspberries and muesli. Luckily this was not a hard or unusual combination, and the result was something perfectly wholesome and moreish!
I would happily whip up a batch of these again anytime as they were a real doddle and I can see how easily they fitted into his lunchbox. They disappeared fast, so next time perhaps a double batch will do!Print
Moreish muffins for any day of the week packed with berry goodness.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 150g plain flour
- 115g soft brown sugar
- 150g mixed blueberries and raspberries, frozen
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 100g toasted muesli
- Preheat oven to 210C (410F). Brush a 12-hole muffin tin with melted butter or oil. Sift the self-raising and plain flour into a large mixing bowl, stir in the brown sugar and berries and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a jug, and pour into the well in the dry ingredients along with the butter. Stir with a spoon until just combined. Do not overmix – the mixture should be lumpy. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, filling each hole about three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle some toasted muesli onto each muffin, then bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: berry muffin