To make a cake that was allergy friendly was this week’s task. Not as I saw it the most thrilling of challenges – but surely one of the more open-ended ones. A nut-free dessert suits the peanut phobic. Swap out regular flour with Gluten Free and presto, a coeliac will be happy. But pushing the envelope that little bit further, I decided to go the whole hog and try making something as allergy friendly as possible, omitting all dairy and egg products to bake something completely vegan. So here is my vegan chocolate cake.
This challenge happened to be on a weekend that our dear kink-family member George was visiting from Melbourne for his birthday week. So surprise, George ended up with a Vegan birthday cake! But we all agreed upon tasting it, you barely noticed it was a speciality cake. So moist and fudgy and delicious to the last bite! I am only chiding myself for the decoration; my first plan was to use freeze-dried raspberries. But none could be found so I bought some vegan-friendly cake toppings, and went a little too far. The edible pink sugar would have been enough, but I had to keep going!
Happiest of birthdays George, and I promise next year your cake will be even more spectacular!
A dairy and egg free chocolate cake with vegan frosting
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine or Vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt in a greased 8″ square or round baking pan.
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients – two small and one large. Pour the vinegar and vanilla in each of the two smaller depressions, and the vegetable oil in the large one.
- Pour water over the entire batch and mix until smooth.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- For the icing,using an electric mixer, beat together the margarine, vanilla extract, and 1 cup of the powdered sugar until they are well mixed.
- Slowly add remaining powdered sugar and cocoa powder until all is mixed in.
- Continue to beat with a mixer and add rice milk a little bit at a time until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Ice the completely cooled cake with the frosting. Decorate with your choice of vegan and allergy friendly decorations or fruits!
Keywords: Vegan chocolate cake