A dairy and egg free chocolate cake with vegan frosting
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine or Vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt in a greased 8″ square or round baking pan.
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients – two small and one large. Pour the vinegar and vanilla in each of the two smaller depressions, and the vegetable oil in the large one.
- Pour water over the entire batch and mix until smooth.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- For the icing,using an electric mixer, beat together the margarine, vanilla extract, and 1 cup of the powdered sugar until they are well mixed.
- Slowly add remaining powdered sugar and cocoa powder until all is mixed in.
- Continue to beat with a mixer and add rice milk a little bit at a time until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Ice the completely cooled cake with the frosting. Decorate with your choice of vegan and allergy friendly decorations or fruits!
Keywords: Vegan chocolate cake